Monday, September 25, 2017
Latest Marine News
 

Waterfront construction on show

Like it? Share it!

Click the image above to watch the video

The Tauranga waterfront construction work is on schedule, with the build of the new pier, pontoon and tidal stairs which form part of the Access to Water project.

“At the moment work is focused on finishing the ground foundations and the reinforced concrete for the tidal steps,” says Tauranga City Transformation General Manager Jaine Lovell-Gadd.

“The tidal steps are all precast units that have been poured into shaped moulds in the Mount Maunganui concrete batching plant, and these will be trucked onto site, and then placed by the crane in the coming fortnight.”

Jaine says they are still working with artists Marcus McShane and Elliot Collins to finalise the design for the dynamic audio and lighting installation on the pier, and the artwork integration in the precast steps themselves.

Deputy Mayor Kelvin Clout says it is exciting to see the progress being made.

“The construction programme is on time, which has been helped by the gorgeous Bay of Plenty sun so far this summer,” says Kelvin. “And as such I’m looking forward to dipping my toes in the water come April.”

A new sandpit with a digger is nearby so children can come and help build the new pier, pontoon and tidal stairs which is located near to the Hairy Maclary statues.

The waterfront area is open all summer for families while the new facilities are being built.

The construction progress can be viewed online as it happens by visiting the Tauranga City Council’s Access to Water project webpage.

 


Comments on SunLive

Earth Movers!

Posted on 17-01-2017 12:51 | By Mackka

Went to have a look at it - what a huge mess - a huge amount of earth being dug out. All will have to be reinstated after the first drowning! Can’t imagine why ’Work and Safety’ can’t see the obvious! Bet no insurance company has touched it - what then?? We pay again!
Yes a waste.

Posted on 12-01-2017 18:30 | By Accountable

The majority of the business people in the CBD would rather it be reinstated as a car park which would bring far more benefits to city center than these steps which are a major threat to the safety of the visitors and their children. I hope those Council staff involved will be held personally responsible when the first drowning occurs and they will not be able to pass the costs onto the ratepayer.
It's all about...

Posted on 12-01-2017 13:07 | By Me again

that Legacy thing. We look good when can have our name’s to something. Never mind the ratepayers being the cash-cows. Good "old councilers" What else do they have as a Legacy. Be interesting to see how this lot spend ratepayers money... ummm the mind boogles
Rediculous

Posted on 12-01-2017 07:11 | By Hot stuff

Waste of rate payers money and such a stupid thing to have for a minority of people
 
©2017 Sun Media Ltd - All Rights Reserved
Sun Media